Monday, November 15, 2004

Computer Literacy vs. Information Literacy

I recently returned from the 2004 Conference on Information Technology in Tampa, which was attended by a mix of community college faculty, instructional technologists, and a few librarians. I participated in a popular roundtable discussion called "What is Computer Literacy?" I was surprised to hear that a number of other people participating--mostly IT faculty--think of computer literacy as the same as information literacy. I tried to convey that while IL and CL are natural partners, IL has its own skills set.

Anyone want to volunteer a definition of computer literacy? Our roundtable never achieved consensus.

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Hmmm, I was going to say that CL is more knowing what computers can do and how to do them. But then my mind went immediately from the physical computer to the web and came back to more IL evaulation type skills. And really knowing what you can do with your physical computer goes along with knowing what tools are available, what types of information they can give you and how to use them. So the more I think about it the more I confuse myself.

What's your definition, Jennifer?

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home